If you ever see me out in public during the winter (which is impossible, like I said, I'm probably under a duvet) I'm most likely in this ensemble.
- The tartan trend has been seen in collections like Alice + Olivia's Fall 2013 RTW and I hope it continues to flourish. To keep the pattern from looking too "school girl" or "family christmas card," I prefer a neutral color palette. It's an easy way to introduce the trend into your wardrobe without splurging on multiple pieces. My tartan scarf has found itself a permanent home in my closet. Not only is it on trend, but in this weather, scarves are essential.
- Another vital (literally) item is a good jacket for the winter. Yes, they can be quite the investment, but you'll thank yourself when your fingertips are frozen and need a warm pocket to hide in. Sometimes wearing puffy coat can be unflattering but I found a beautiful one at Zara that is probably my favorite item, ever. I'm obsessed with the quilting detail that, I think, will always be in style.
- Also from Zara, I purchased knee high, suede boots that have a vertical strip of leather in the back. I receive at least three compliments a day on them, which of course I don't mind. ;) Just like I mentioned about purchasing a quality coat, I feel the same about boots. They are so easy to wear with any type of outfit. I find they can make even just a simple t-shirt and skinny jeans stylish. That's what I like -- fashion that isn't a hassle.
- My least favorite thing to do? Switch purses. It gets messy and sometimes, I'm just lazy. For months now, I've been wearing the same black fringe bag that seems to look good with just about anything. Except, I would imagine a full fringe black vest would look a little ridiculous. So maybe don't take my advice. But maybe do, because I don't plan on swapping my current bag for a while. Unless Céline was giving away purses. That'd be a different story. Just like knee high boots, a fringe bag is a simple way to make any look stylish.
If you can't tell, a common theme here is ease. I don't like to worry about what I'm wearing when I have other things going on (like school, hello! #collegefreshmanprobs). With these key pieces, I feel I'm ready to walk out of the door with any pair of jeans, leggings, etc. and top because they're so serviceable. But first, coffee.
- When it comes to polish in the winter, I seem to be attracted to either black or white. OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark is a shade that I find myself running out of very quickly. Simply, I just adore this color on my nails. More appropriate for the weather, I have also been obsessed with winter white nails with an accent of silver on the ring finger. It's the closest thing I'll get to actually liking snow.
- Winter is infamous for making our skin dry. It's almost just as bad as being oily, but not quite. At first, I was hesitant to purchase GlamGlow, (I still haven't bought the full size! $$$) but I absolutely see what the hype is about. I can't believe how baby soft my skin is after I use this mask. After, I follow up with Josie Maran Argan Oil (which I should have shown here, my apologies!). Taking care of your skin is important year round and I highly recommend you to add GlamGlow to your routine! Take home a sample -- you'll understand.
- I think we can all agree that chapped, dry lips are equivalent to hell. (I like to exaggerate.) I don't like to be bothered when it's so cold outside to make sure my lipstick is perfect. The Maybelline Baby Lips are my secret weapon and the Grape Vine shade is my personal favorite. (I've gone through two full tubes!) It definitely does it's job at hydrating my lips and the color it gives is just a plus. I don't know what magic it has, but I find when I apply it, my face just looks more "alive." There are so many colors in the Baby Lips range that it's impossible to not find one that would go well with your completion.
- This winter is the first that I've actually ventured out of my typical coral blush for a deeper, berry colored blush. Milani's Baked Blush in Cherry Culture gives the effect of naturally flushed cheeks. It tricks everyone into thinking you've been out in the snow, even if you were just drinking mimosas and online shopping. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.
Sometimes, you just gotta snuggle up with your pet and watch some movies. Okay, maybe I do that more than just sometimes.
- I just watched We're The Millers and it's already one of my favorite movies. A little inappropriate, so I don't recommend watching it when your father is in the room (learned from experience), but it's definitely something you'll be cackling to. I relate to Emma Roberts' sassy character on an spiritual level.
- The Hunger Games series is something that I can't get enough of. I adore the relationship between Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson, in real life and in Catching Fire. This movie will have your heart rate pumping along with the action, and holding hands with the person next to you in the theater as you root for J. Law (even if it's a stranger…)
- I had to include my boys. I'll admit it - I love One Direction. Yup. I just can't help it. I love these five adorable boys and this movie just added to that love. Even if you just like their music, I suggest you watch This is Us. My sister was not a fan (to say the least) and now she wants to go front row to a concert of theirs. Maybe you won't make such a drastic jump like she did, but it's definitely a cute movie that shows who the boys in One Direction are as people, not just performers. (I may have watched it twice in one day.)
- Who doesn't love a chick flick? Nicholas Sparks killed it with The Lucky One. It's my favorite of his more recent films and it's only $5 at Target! I'm in love with Zac Efron's character. (No, really. I am. It's weird.) If you're ever lonely -- I don't suggest watching this at that time. But we all need those nights with a tub of ice cream, no? I've watched this film multiple times and I'm not tired of it just yet. If you love romantic and mushy movies, this one is for you.
Yes it's cold, yes it's wet. But fashion, makeup and unrealistic movies make everything better. Let me know your opinions on the trends and movies I've mentioned. What's your winter survival guide?